Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I long for summer.


I can't wait for the days when I wake up and have no idea what's to occur. My spontaneous and creative friends are always coming up with entertaining pastimes (i.e. taking the metro downtown to the zoo) and I hope the summer I have here will be a glorious adventure. There's so much to look forward to, from the lazy days to mission trip to climbing a mountain in Colorado with some long-lost friends. And I'm completely over schoolwork. It amazes me how intense my last week of official classes has been, and I dread studying for finals. I want to walk out of Kingwood High knowing that the stress and worry is in recess for three glorious months. I can't wait for pleasure reading, lake houses, concerts, and unlikely adventures. The anticipation is torturous, and yet, summer's approach is bittersweet. I long for the goodness it brings but dread the pain of leaving Kingwood for good. I can't wait to be finished with school, but I'm not ready to be finished with KHS. I worry that my summer will be darkened by fear of the unknown, the stress of finding a new school, and more fights with my mom. This last item is an unfortunate truth: my mother and I are both so emotionally drained all of the time, and I think we turn this frustration on each other. I know how hard my parents are working right now, yet I cannot abstain from holding them in some form of resentment. I love them completely and endlessly, but on (frequent) occasion I cannot bear to even remain in my house because there are too many negative emotions. 

I planned a co-moving away party with one of my best friends. We threw it together very quickly, and it's rather likely that a much better organized one will be produced by our friends at some point. However, we are getting a small group of girls together for a tie-dying party Friday. It'll be adorable, and nice to get "the group" together before everyone becomes involved in their separate summer plans. I'm glad we're doing this early, with the knowledge that we still have a summer's amount of time left together. I don't have to say goodbye just yet!

On a VERY, very random side note, I think Christians often confuse Christianity with socialism. Christ calls us to love our neighbors and avoid greed, but I don't think he meant for this to be done with socialized health care. We can't just put a man in charge because his idealistic ideas dimly remind of of the kind of society we need to be working towards. A government can't make this other world possible, it is the individual who carries the job, and we need to preform it by loving others and showing them God's love. We can't just "spread the wealth" or put a limit on salaries. That doesn't build character, it sparks conflict and decreases workmanship. I need to follow God and want to help others because I know that is what He wants for the world.  I think the sweat and dedication spent by many Christians to put Obama in office may have been better served showing Christ's love to others. I'm not saying he isn't a good man; I couldn't possibly know that. And we do need change. But everyone has to be a part of it, we can't just wait around for new laws to be passed that challenge our ability to think for ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. "We can't just "spread the wealth" or put a limit on salaries. That doesn't build character, it sparks conflict and decreases workmanship." - thats my favorite part.

    this is beautifully written emily!

    ReplyDelete