Day Two just might have been the best day of spring break.
With the exception of a slightly sluggish start in the morning, everyone was full to bursting with the anticipation of Marisa's arrival back to Kingwood. To me it felt like Christmas; nine months is too long to go without your best friend. Friends began to congregate at Morgan's house and we stood around her kitchen, debating the best way to make a massive ordeal out of Marisa's arrival. As we neared the designated pick-up time of 2 pm our excitement grew and things got hectic.
"Call Rachel...where is she? Has she left yet? Is Kyler coming? Where is he? Morgan, Morgan! What's your address? I need to tell Jase! SOMEONE CALL RACHEL NOW. Seriously, Where is Kyler. Is Connor coming? What time do we need to leave?"
etc, etc. I think at it's maximum occupancy, the kitchen consisted of Kate, Lindsey, Natalie, Rachel, Jase, Connor, Paige and Morgan. The voices and anticipation made it feel much more crowded. Unable to wait any longer, and wanting to ensure that we had something to give to Marisa at the terminal, Kate, Rachel, Jase, Connor and I charged ahead in Kate's accord. Shots was once again the musical selection as we raced to Randall's.
"What flowers are we going to get her? Let's get her a balloon! Connor..just pick something! NO, I'll know it when I see it! Do I have to hold the flowers? I feel really romantic. You baby, Kate'll hold them- just go! WHICH BALLOON? Rachel..grab that one! NO..the unicorn one! YES!"
I'm told that Kyler drove 80 mph on Kingwood Drive in order to make it to Morgan's house on time to head out with the second wave of people. (Thought you'd appreciate that Marisa)
We all found each other again in the short-term parking garage. Morgan, Lindsey, Natalie, Paige, Rachel, Connor, Jase, Kyler, and I all shoved into an already crowded elevator. "So sorry everyone!", Paige called out, "We're about to pick up our best friend from the airport...she's been gone for nine months and we're all really excited to see her!" The two other families in the elevator stared blankly at her, then spoke quietly to one another in Spanish. I quietly reminded Paige that she didn't need to apologize for using an elevator.
We finally found where we needed to be- International Arrivals- and quickly hugged Marisa'a mother and sister before plotting our next move. Should we all stand by the gate? Should we surprise her? Everyone agreed that it's be evil to make it seem as if no one had come, but that the surprise idea had merit as well.
Kate, Connor, and Jase stood beside Marisa's family as they waited her to make it through customs. Luckily for the rest of us, there was a gift shop with a glass wall that would provide us with a perfect view of Marisa's arrival. Not wanting to risk giving ourselves away, Lindsey, Morgan, Natalie, Rachel, Paige and I all ducked down and tried to hide behind a display of books. We relied on Kyler to narrate the scene.
"Alright guys, she's coming out. Uh..Jase is on the phone, Connor's doing a good job of holding back the emotion. Alright and she's running towards Kate. They're hugging. Uh..embracing. Woah..she just kissed her!"
"KYLER! SHUT UP AND TELL US WHEN TO GO"
We all counted down together, gripping each other in the arm to try and prevent anyone from getting a head start. Then we ran for it. She looked just the same as always, except, as Natalie might say, a bit more "edgy". I don't know how she survived getting clobbered like that, not sure how she could breathe. There were definitely some tears in Marisa's eyes when we finally released her, and her expression was the perfect physical manifestation of the feeling that everyone had. The feeling that this would be the freaking best week ever.
I loved the rest of this day so much that I think it deserves it's own post at a later time. I've bored ya'll enough for now! Marisa, I just want you to know how freaking happy we were that you were finally coming home.
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment